Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 3: My Views on Drugs and Alcohol

I don't do drugs. I tried them in the past, nothing "heavy". I didn't really like them though I will admit that as I got older, esp. as a lonely housewife, I wished I had some, esp. speed.  But never went out looking for them nor even knew anyone who had any sort of illegal.

As for "legal" drugs, like OTC, hey, I use Aleve and aspirin.  So they can be useful.

Perscription, useful for some, lifesavers for others.  I find it ridiculous how they are marketed in this country but hope people and doctors have the sense to sort all the BS from the truth for themselves. As a preventative, I don't know.  Should we take pills because of "what if?"  I want proof first.  And then let's all try the old fashioned way, less stress, diet, exercise, etc. first.  Popping pills to keep the nation going is stupid.

Alcohol? I had an alcoholic father.  I can tell you somewhat that it sucks.  He's gone now and he and I made our peace but my siblings are still struggling with it.  It messes people up big time, ruins lives of the drinker and his/her family.  It isn't just a drinker in a bedroom alone killing himself.  It is him killing himself in front of his family who internalize it, oftentimes in ways they don't know until they are older.  Yes, I am speaking of myself.

Have a drink here and there?  Years ago I would have said absolutely not, don't bring that sh*t here.  But I've mellowed somewhat. Never having a responsible model in my life for consuming alcohol to me it was either to get wasted or not at all.  But now I know the majority of people are not that way, thank God. Does alcohol bother me yet?  Yes but not like it had.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. I also grew up with alcoholic relatives, therefore developed a strong dislike for alcoholic beverages. My Grandpa was a gentle drunk, usually sleeping it off when he'd had too much. So no bad stories, other than the helpless sadness of watching someone you love self-destruct and waste his life. Had to rethink my aversion to alcohol when we moved to Wisconsin. I still don't drink but realize there are mature, healthy people who enjoy a beer or two now and then but know when to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog, and we are alike in this way, as well. My father is a recovering alcoholic. My Son's both grown abuse drugs and alcohol. My Husband is a recovering alcoholic. I have made peace with it.

    I do enjoy a glass of wine. I do take RX medications, due to being a cancer survivor. I also take anxiety meds, when needed.

    If Pot were legal, I would indulge. I work for a non-profit that has mandatory drug testing, and would never risk losing my job over something silly like that.

    Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete