Sunday, February 27, 2011

Superior and Back

First off I have to say there is no snow up there!  Ice.  Yes, lots of ice.  You can have ice but I was surprised there wasn't more snow.  I guess we really are the bullseye for it this year.


Sunrise near Cornell
The day started out looking promising although I did think of "red sky in morning, Sailors take warning" but quickly erased it from my mind and enjoyed the colors.
Eleven miles from Superior
I love this rise because there she is!!  My beloved lake!  My heart always skips a beat when I see her. This is where I was born, this is where I want to go when I die.  Just throw my ashes in this heavenly body of water.  I read somewhere that it took like 24 years to spread a person's remains all over the world.  I can't seem to get to travel in this lifetime so that will be the next best thing.

I had a great day in Superior although I didn't get to go around as I would have liked.  It is only 3 hours so I can just go again if I like.  I like to take my time when I drive.  This ride I stopped every hour.  I swung into Spooner and got some coffee and stopped by the Historical Marker about the Yellow River.  The river was open and steaming in the cool air.  Rivers here aren't open yet. I live where there are many different big rivers crisscross hence this area being deemed "River Country".  Yes, we have the Yellow River here too.  The local town has a lovely spot that I often go to.

The Corner Store
15 miles from home and the last gas station so I stopped about 8pm and filled up.  We had a good covering of snow which made the roads not too good so it took me longer to get home.  But I made it.  My heart is still "home" though.

2 comments:

  1. It is good to see that you made it back safely. The weather yesterday was iffy, at best. I had to shovel 3x's. Yes, I agree, that horizon is a thrill every time for me too. I think I probably go up there more often than you, but I still always get that happy feeling, there, on that stretch of the road. Your sunrise photo is amazing. While I drove yesterday morning, towards Black River Falls, I saw the sunrise, but it wasn't red, it was hazy. Just those few miles, make a difference. Peace to you, and happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Sunrise. GREAT PHOTO! You have to enter it in a contest!

    ReplyDelete