Monday, April 25, 2011

It Is True

Benjamin, 1978 Schwinn Continental II
My poor old Schwinn is a mess.  Dragged it out of the shed.  It may as well left it out in the weather. The mice or neighbor's cats did a job on the seat and the tires are flat and more rust than I care to think of. Even the handlebar tape is shot.  And to think I had it all spiffed up and was using it just a couple years ago. (see above)

So now I am thinking, do I find someone who can fix him up for me?  Or just get a new road bike?  I wish I could find someone around here that likes to work on vintage bikes.  The last time I took him in the kid in the dreads looked at me like "are you kidding?" instead of giving me the "what an awesome example of vintage machinery!" I was looking for!  This old bike is more than I need.  I don't need a fancy schmancy Trek that cost more than my car.  Not out here on the farm and miles of dirt roads.

I need to drag him around one day I suppose and get some estimates, feel the vibes of the shops and go from there.

Meanwhile I took the girly girl bike out for a spin, not far enough but I had two loose dogs with me.  Next time they stay home.  Then I can go to town and back maybe.

2 comments:

  1. I bought a different bike at a garage sale a few years ago, one with a bigger, cushier seat and only 10 speeds. I like it, but I confess my old vintage racing bike like the one above still holds a dear place in my heart. Sometimes it is worth it to fix them up, and sometimes it is better to just let them go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll get some estimates. The local Mennonite store carries a lot of bike parts including the tires and a rim in the size I need so I just may rebuild it myself (learning as I go). I looked at the Raleighs they had, thinking about it. I want a road bike though that pedals nicely for my long legs.

    ReplyDelete